Part-Time to Full-Time Temporary Position
About Dēmos. Demos is a national public policy organization working for a democracy and economy rooted in racial equity. Founded in 2000, the organization is headquartered in New York City and has an office in Washington, D.C. Demos moves ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, from landmark credit card reforms to nearly 3 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people, but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
Digital Copy Writer. Demos is seeking an experienced digital communications freelancer to join the Communications team through mid-February 2022 in a part- or full-time capacity. Interested candidates should email their résumés and sample work to [email protected].
The ideal candidate is:
- A strong, strategic writer who is comfortable synthesizing complex writing and research into shorter, straightforward copy for online audiences on deadline.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable about social media, with experience representing organizations or brands. Knows how to build and maintain a loyal, engaged following and manage a large online community.
- An avid reader who stays up to date with current events, social and racial justice issues, and policy debates.
- Supports the Communications team in developing and implementing digital content strategy for short- and long-term priorities, projects, and campaigns.
- Contributes writing to advance and highlight our work and priorities as requested in support of editorial calendar and weekly news cycles, including:
- Pitches and drafts 2-3 posts/email a month for Demos.org.
- Drafts social media copy to promote monthly posts, to support Demos report releases, and as requested for current events for all Demos social media channels, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Other responsibilities as requested by your supervisor from time to time.
- Demos expects all staff to exhibit a core set of racial equity-related skills and competencies, including the following:
- Equity Analysis. Clearly and consistently articulating a sophisticated understanding of racial equity and structural racism, and the centrality of this analysis to the work we do and how we operate at Demos. Integrating that knowledge into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Self-Awareness. Demonstrating awareness of multiple group identities and their attendant dynamics and consistently bringing a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions.
- Direct Communication. Communicating clearly and directly with colleagues, working intentionally to match intent and impact in interactions, and being proactive to resolve conflicts and misunderstandings, especially across difference. Consistently giving both positive and developmental feedback to support learning, excellence, and personal growth.
- Authentic Relationships. Proactively building and sustaining robust, authentic, productive working relationships with colleagues across race and other group identities, including Demos staff and external partners.
Salary and Benefits:
The full-time, annualized salary range for this position is $73,500 to $78,500 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid time off Dec. 25- Jan. 1, and a 403b plan to save for retirement. We also offer the following benefits which accrue on a pro-rata basis, given the temporary nature of this role: 11 paid holidays per year, 18 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, and 12 sick days per year.