Demos is recruiting for a full-time Accountant to perform accounting and payroll duties, support financial reporting and grants management, and contribute to an efficient and cost-effective approach to operations as Demos brings its finance function in-house after many years of outsourced finance and accounting. The Accountant will report to the Vice President of Finance and Administration and work closely with members of the Administration and Development teams.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
General Ledger and Accounting Functions
- Perform month end closing procedures including reconciling bank statements
- Prepare and post journal entries
- Prepare audit schedules and support VP of Finance and Administration in preparing for and managing the annual audit
- Manage Chart of Accounts and Cost Center structure and maintain accounting files
- Process vendor invoices following organization procedures and issue checks as needed
- Produce weekly aging reports
- Manage credit card reconciliations
Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
- Invoice subtenants
- Enter cash receipts
- Maintain grants and accounts receivable schedule in conjunction with Director of Development and Administrative Associate, producing periodic aging reports
- Transmit payroll to ADP
- Post payroll and reconcile to payroll statements
- Add new hires to payroll and maintain payroll records
- Track and record vacation accruals
- Enter annual operating budget in accounting software by program, project and grant and enter budget modifications as needed
- Produce monthly budget-to-actuals for senior management and quarterly reporting package for the Board of Directors including budget-to-actuals, balance sheet, and dashboard
- Generate monthly financial reports for fiscally sponsored projects
Grants Management and Reporting
- Enter grant and project budgets in accounting system
- Allocate expenses to grants as per coding provided by Development and program staff
- Supports preparation of financial reports for grants
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
1. Nonprofit finance experience: The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of GAAP as applied to nonprofit accounting and working knowledge of fund accounting software. S/he will have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent training and/or experience.
2. S/he will have strong administrative, organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
3. S/he will have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
We are more interested in these three qualities than any particular amount of experience. However, a commitment to Demos’ work would be nice. Candidates need to fit well with our culture, bringing a strong commitment to excellence, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401k plan.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com Include in the letter how you found out about the position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Founded in 2000 and headquartered in New York City, Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. This is done through original research, focused advocacy, cross-movement collaboration and multi-platform communications strategies.
Demos is currently recruiting an administration and events intern to assist in preparing for a conference, taking place in Bellagio, Italy, in October 2013. Much of the preparation for this event will take place during the summer months, and this intern will play a key role in the logistical aspects of pre-conference activities. The intern will also provide support to Executive Assistant, who is leading the planning for the event logistics. (Unfortunately, the intern does not get to attend the conference in Italy.)
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Arranging international travel for conference participants
- Arranging pre-conference meetings and phone calls
- Updating conference attendee lists
- Compiling and distributing pre-conference materials to attendees
- Organizing, printing and shipping materials to the conference site
- Assisting with the planning and tracking of conference schedules and agendas
- Assisting with research on conference related topics
- Assisting the Demos Administration Department with general administration work on an as needed basis. This includes, but is not limited to: processing expenses reconciliations, preparing Demos executives for intern and external meetings, printing and organizing reports, arranging non-conference related travel for Demos executives, and updating databases.
The successful candidate will excel in these three areas:
- S/he will have excellent attention to detail;
- S/he will have outstanding verbal and written communication skills/he will have the ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment;
- S/he will take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
We are more interested in these three qualities than in any particular amount of experience. However, prior experience in a non-profit environment, previous event support experience, and/ or prior experience communicating with high-profile, busy individuals would be a plus. Candidates need to fit well with our culture, bringing a strong commitment to excellence. The internship is based in New York City. This is a paid, part-time internship, (20 hours per week), starting immediately, through October 2013. We can also work with individuals to help them obtain school credit.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, résumé, and 2-3 page writing sample to demos.hiringthing.com. Include in the letter how you found out about the position. We are looking for an immediate hire. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
About our Work
Meet an Expert
Demos combines research, policy development, and advocacy to influence public debates and catalyze change.