We are looking for a supremely organized, energetic, and creative individual to join the communications department of Demos, a key player in the progressive movement. You will help implement strategies to enhance the visibility and impact of the organization’s work, raise the media profile for a wide range of policy and issue advocacy work, as well as our visionary leadership, and elevate Demos as a respected resource for progressive policy analysis. You should be thoughtful, persistent, and enjoy working with a range of different people (from policy analysts and advocates to lawyers and development experts), look forward to being a thought partner on strategy, and excel at juggling responsibility for multiple projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Pitching stories and experts; responding to requests from media; screening to ensure inquiries are relevant to the mission and program; triggering rapid response strategy in accordance with the news cycle.
· Writing and editing communications materials, including press releases and media advisories for organization’s issue and program work.
· Distributing and promoting press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, submissions to blogs, etc., securing expanded media coverage of the organization’s work.
· Providing research and media training support to prepare Demos experts for appearances and interviews
· Monitoring traditional and new media for coverage of Demos and our issue areas.
· In conjunction with the Communication team’s leadership, cultivating and maintaining relationships with key media and partners aligned with Demos’ work who cover the organization’s issues.
· Maintaining the media database, creating press outreach lists and monitoring staff interactions with members of the press, developing and implementing systems for benchmarking media relations outcomes.
· Serving as departmental liaison on content-based Work Teams.
· Assisting Work Teams in the implementation of media campaigns.
· Other duties, including research and administrative needs, as assigned.
· Responsible for efficient rapid response strategy on assigned issues.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
1. Strong research and organization skills;
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, including but not limited to executives, managers and subject matter experts of diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise;
3. Solid knowledge of current events, public policy issues and politics and familiarity with news media monitoring tools and reporting;
4. Strong team player with outstanding relationship-building skills and a commitment to valuing racial diversity and embracing inclusion.
Prior professional experience, preferably in a non-profit or within an agency, is a plus. Knowledge of historical and current voting rights legislation, campaign finance laws, and the labor movement would also be a plus. Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, résumé, and a short writing sample by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com  We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer --people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.